THE CLOTHING DRIVE is a grassroots initiative that has provided free, donated clothing to hundreds of Syrian refugees in the GTA.
Over the course of 3 weeks, THE CLOTHING DRIVE Facebook group grew from zero to over 5,500 volunteer members actively donating clothing, showing up, offering business services and promoting this drive. Sorters, movers, programmers, marketing/public relations, contractors, cleaners, graphic designers, business executives, retail experts – you name it – they joined and actively help the GTA welcome Syrian refugees.
Our mission: We provide a warm and welcoming environment in our storefront location, where Syrian refugees, can “shop” for free for winter clothing and footwear. We strive to provide Arabic-speaking volunteers to assist with a “one stop” solution for several outfits for each family member.
Join volunteers from THE CLOTHING DRIVE as they share the story of this incredible initiative and how the power of Facebook is being harnessed.
Key Take Aways
- How to spread the word quickly when the need is great.
- Building a community under urgent conditions.
- Scaling up from a good idea to a sustainable volunteer program. Many hands make light work!
- Using Facebook for co-ordinating logistics and knowledge sharing.
- What YOU can do to help THE CLOTHING DRIVE and Syrian refugees.